Friday, July 15, 2011

The Dreaded Bouncing Ball

Every animation class has it ...the assignment to end all assignments ...the very foundation on which nearly every principle of animation is explored ...I am of course talking of : THE BOUNCING BALL.  I've done at least three variations of the bouncing ball: one in high school, one in community college, and now one for Animation Mentor.  The ball, on paper, is fairly simple (or at least I thought so).  Make it bounce with weight and believability.  Check. So I go onto Maya to take on this bouncing ball challenge and was immediately humbled.  It was indeed harder than it seemed. Through much critiquing and tweaking, I think (THINK) I've got the right balance in the ball bounce ...now to just add some rotation! Enjoy the bouncing ball ...let it teach you of its mysterious ways ...let it humble you and yet comfort you in knowing that it isn't as easy as it seems :)
 
First Attempt
 
Revision 2

No comments: